Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: President set to make major announcement
BREAKING NEWS

President Joe Foxon [IC] is due to make a major announcement this afternoon outside his home on Cook Island in Mercury. With elections due in just over three weeks time, early speculation says that it may be relating to his future as leader of the National Party.
Quote:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=27]

Statement from the President of Mercury

As we enter the new election period and the page turns for the next chapter of our nation's history, one in which we hope to continue the growth of the previous nine years of our existence. Since we became independent, this country has grown substantially to become one of the most powerful, and economically prosperous nations in the world, and that, in no small part, is down to the hard work of our citizens, officials and civil servants.

The work we face isn't finished by any means, this country still has a long way to go, and it is my opinion that I have done as much as I can to help this. It is for this reason that I am announcing my intention not to stand for the Presidency in this year's election.

It is time for someone else to take the reins and lead us through the next stage of our story. For someone else to take on the greatest job this country has to offer. It has been my honour to serve you since our independence. This has taken up the last 9 years of my life, and probably taken 9 years off it as well! 

Laughter ripples through those in attendance

I will still aim to remain a Member of Parliament, so that I may continue to serve in some capacity, but it is appropriate to take this particular item off my plate now, and allow my successor to continue, and hopefully even better, the successes we've had thus far.

Thank you.