Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from Brettania
People of Mercury, I bring greetings from the Brettish Isles [known there by the pseudonym of Arthur Rivers]. I have been asked to treat with Mercury in regards to establishing formal relations and to discuss our plans for expansion in order to establish a chain of ports able to both defend our isles and form a supply chain to our main colonial outpost at Port Impregnable.

We also wish to broach Mercury's claim to Nova England, as we too consider ourselves heirs to that once mighty Empire. It should be understood that we have no intention of reclaiming all of Nova England's old lands - most of which has already been claimed. We do, however, intend to establish a small port at the small remnant strip of land between Ergonia and Mercury.

In order to prevent any contention or disagreement over these claims we are approaching this openly with Mercury and Ergonia in the hopes of formalizing a friendly relationship with both countries.

I look forward to working with Mercury on these matters.

Sincerely,
Arthur Rivers
Lord of Willowshire
The Brettish Isles
This seems perfectly in order on our end. Maybe it would be a good idea to draft up a treaty to show that we all recognise the claim?
I have no problem with that. However, we have no intention to claim the entire strip between Mercury and Ergonia - we only intend to claim a small colony for portage. So it's very much possible to run your rail line above our claim if you wish.

That being said, I will draft a treaty within the next few days and post it here for review and revision.

Best,
Arthur Rivers
Here's a draft for you to review:

Quote:
The Grinstead Accord

A Mutual Agreement and Understanding
between
The Brettish Isles
and
The Republic of Mercury

This accord shall enact as law the desire of Brettania and Mercury to establish a formative and beneficial relationship between these two nations.

1. A state of peace and non-aggression will exist between the Brettish Isles and Mercury.
2. Friendship and cooperation will influence all interaction between the Brettish Isles and Mercury to the extent of:
2.1. The Brettish Isles will be granted rights to a small colony, Port Moorland, located in the unclaimed territory between Mercury and Ergonia.
2.2. The border between Port Moorland and Mercury will be open and freely accessible for trade.
2.3. The Brettish government will construct and control a connector link through Port Moorland to allow rail service between Ergonia and Mercury.
3. The port facilities on the peninsula and immediate surroundings owned or operated by either nation will be open to the commercial vessels of the other nation.
4. Both nations will exchange representatives to act as permanent ambassadors.
5. Both nations commit to, when feasible, maintaining open trade and the exchange of goods.
6. Both nations commit to preserve the natural environment of the peninsula and surrounding water.
7. Both nations commit to provide emergency supplies to the other in the event of catastrophe.
8. Both nations commit to preserve and uphold the legacy of Nova England, and to share equally in its cultural legacy.
9. This pact will enter into force on the day that both nations have ratified the pact and informed the other of such ratification.
9.1. Amendments to this pact may be made by mutual agreement of both nations.

Signed for the Brettish Isles:
Arthur Rivers,
Lord of Willowshire

Signed for Mercury:
Joseph Foxon,
President of Mercury
Yep, all looks good to me!
Roight then, I'll present it to [our] Parliament for approval.
Good sir, I am pleased to inform you that the Brettish Parliament has approved the treaty.
And moved to Signed Treaties!
Quote:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=27]

Expiration of the Treaty

Due to the demise of the Brettish Isles, this treaty is no longer in force.

Joe Foxon

President of the Republic of Mercury